Coming Out Of The Cartoon Closet
I recently read an article about Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street being gay and the huge uproar over it on whether or not they really were. In my opinion, Bert and Ernie were definitely not gay. They’ve been wearing the same outfits for 40 years and gay people would never do that. “Bert and Ernie are best friends,” the Sesame Workshop, said in a Facebook message. “They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves.”
While researching this topic I did come across a few cartoons for all the people out there that must have a gay cartoon character. Here are my top 5.
5. Prince Albert from He-man…correction, I mean Prince Adam. He-man was gay too. How could you be so damn close to She-ra, Teela, and the Sorceress and not try to hit that? Actully She-ra is his twin sister so maybe not but at least he could have tried to put the moves on the other two, but instead always chasing after Skeletor instead. Maybe Skeletor has a ‘big bone’ down south? Also did you know He-man also has a friend named FISTO??? (See Photo In Gallery)
4. Homer J. Simpson. We know that Smithers is gay, Patty (Marge’s Sister) and a number of other characters on The Simpsons are openly homosexual. Homer is just deep in the closet. If you watch the series carefully, you’ll see that Homer kisses a variety of men. He’s surprised and confused at first but as the show progresses he secretly enjoys it and eventually becomes the initiator of the man on man kisses. I think because he’s married with children, he will just have to keep his homosexual tendencies within his fantasies. I think just as he is picky with his women, he would be picky with his men and maybe if the right one came along…
3. Peppermint Patty. Some might say this one is pretty obvious…but I think Peppermint Patty actually had a crush on Charlie Brown and as they grew up, Charlie actually ends up marrying the cute little blonde girl crushing Patty’s heart. She then reached out to long time friend and now lesbian lover Marci. Marci has always loved her Peppermint Patty.
2. The Batman. Bruce Wayne may be a billionaire playboy, but when he puts on that cape and cowel, he is definitely gay. He takes in the boy wonder (no pun intended) to nurture him into his boy toy. Watch some of the old T.V. shows from the 60′s with Adam West. Though Bruce plays the ladies man like a pro, as Batman, he pushes away any and all advancements from the ladies. Batman and Robin definitely ‘love’ each other in more ways than one. Holy Erections Batman!
1. G.I. HELLOOOOO~there… AKA Gung-Ho. He was really popular back in the 80′s cartoon, yet did not make it into the recent movies. I hope it wasn’t because he’s gay. It’s so obvious now as an adult that the writers snuck in a gay G.I. to represent the rainbow nation. Gung- Ho was pure awesomeness. I wonder who would play him in the movies if they decided to add him to the next sequel? Personally, I hope if they do add him or any other gay character, they don’t turn it into an after-school special about tolerance. Let’s just put him in the movies because he was badass, gay or not.