It’s no surprise that The Hunger Games beat its competition Friday, but it is a little surprising just how well the movie did do. In its first 24 hours of release the movie raked in $68.3 million! That puts it at 5th place on the all-time single day revenue chart. However, it ranks first for all non-sequels. That’s right; The Hunger Games is at the top spot for opening day for all non-sequels, pretty insane right?
But get this, it gets even more insane! The Hunger Games is the only non-sequel to even place in the top 10 opening days. Take a look at the list below…
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, $91.1 million
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon, $72.7 million
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1, $71.6 million
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, $68.5 million
- The Hunger Games, $68.3 million
- The Dark Knight, $67.2 million
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, $62 million
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, $61.7 million
- Spider-Man 3, $60 million
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $58.2 million
The Hunger Games is doing extremely well and one would have to think the next movie in the series will only top this opening day. Could it make a run at Harry Potter’s $91.1 million? Only time will tell. But if any movie has a shot, it’s this one.
Did any of you fight the crowds and see The Hunger Games this weekend? Was it worth it? Let us know in the comments below…